top of page



What travel documents do I need to bring?


Valid U.S. Passport

U.S. citizens may present a valid, unexpired U.S. passport when traveling via air, land or sea. CIGAR EDUCATED recommends that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel.  

Guests may apply for passports at passport-acceptance facilities nationwide. For information about  U.S. Passports, visit

The Passport Card

The passport card cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.

U.S. citizens may present a limited-use, wallet-size passport card. The passport card will only be valid for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region and Bermuda.

CIGAR EDUCATED assumes no responsibility for advising guests of proper travel documentation.


CIGAR EDUCATED highly recommends that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel. This will enhance the debarkation experience as delays may be expected upon return to the United States for those without one. Additionally, this will enable guests to fly from the United States should they miss their scheduled port of embarkation and allow guests who must disembark due to an emergency to fly back to the United States without significant delays and complications.

Air Travel

All persons are required to carry a valid, unexpired U.S. passport for air travel to or from the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. (Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands: St. Thomas, St. John and St. Croix). 


Effective May 7, 2025, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security will require every state and territory resident to present a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or another acceptable form of identification, such as a passport or enhanced driver’s license,  to go through airport security and board a flight within the U.S. Please ensure you have an acceptable document for your air travel. Visit for more information.


Names on Travel Documentation

It is important that the guest's full name (first name and last name) on the TOUR and airline tickets be the same as the guest's non-expired government-issued photo I.D. they plan to use for travel identification. In the event of a different name on the cruise/airline ticket and the guest's photo I.D. as a result of a marriage, divorce or a legal name change, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate, marriage license or legal name change court document. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding.

Note: For those about to or recently have been married, we strongly recommend that if the non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is in the maiden name, the TOUR booking be made in the maiden name (do not include the married name); If the reservation was made in the married name, but the non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is in the maiden name, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate or marriage license.

What To Pack

To help you plan, please limit your luggage to a maximum of one bag, per person. No more than two bags, per person. Each checked bag and carry-on bag should not weigh more than 50 pounds and, when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high, by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For security screening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked. Oversized luggage and locked luggage may cause delivery delays.  

You must personally carry-on any boarding documentation (passports, visas, I.D), valuables, medications and items which require special handling or that you need access to while your checked luggage is being delivered. And don't forget your personal toiletries (travel size or standard container size).

There are a number of must-pack items that we recommend when preparing for a CIGAR EDUCATED TOUR. In addition, here are some other recommended items: 


Collapsible day-pack or bag
Sunscreen and insect repellent
Phone chargers


What Not to Pack

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, CIGAR EDUCATED prohibits certain items on tour, such as weapons, candles, irons, alcohol, or other dangerous goods. If prohibited items are found, they will be removed and disposed of and no compensation will be given. Please review our list of Prohibited Items before shutting your suitcase.

What if a guest has a letter from a doctor saying that they are allowed to use marijuana for medicinal and/or therapeutic purposes?  Why is that prohibited?

Marijuana on our tours is not allowed. While certain CBD products used for medicinal purposes may be legal in the US, they are not legal in all the countries we visit and therefore are also considered prohibited items. Guests will need to consult with their physician for other suitable alternatives.



We strongly encourage guests to carry a copy of their medical records (e.g., a list of medical conditions, allergies, names, and medication dosages as well as the name and contact information of their physician).

For guests who are traveling with injectable medication and need a Sharps disposal container, please contact CIGAR EDUCATED PRIOR TO BOOKING. 

Safety is our #1 priority during travel with us. We have taken extra precautions to ensure your safety. Nicaragua is one of the safest countries in the central Americas. 


Military: If your are prior or current service member and or first-responder please click HERE for specific information regarding government information such as the US Embassy.  


Cell phone services can be converted into international roaming. It is suggested to use social media such as "Facebook or Instagram to contact family members back home to avoid international calls. 

You will be provide contact information, should anyone need to contact you for emergencies. 

bottom of page